Sunday, December 11, 2011

Kylee loves UVRM

Sunday during sacrament Kylee kept complaining about her stomach hurting so much so that I decided we should go home. Once home, she began what is a pretty common thing her her...puking her guts out! Poor thing spent more time hugging that toilet all that day and into the night than ever. Remembering our September visit to the hospital I feared we would find ourselves there soon if we didn't get her into the doc asap.

Monday we got in rather late in the afternoon and to our surprise, the doctor referred us to Utah Valley Regional to get a CT scan and to talk with a pediatric surgeon. I met him and he was waiting for Kylee's results from the scan. The moment I saw his face I knew that things were serious. He gave me the run down that no matter what the scan revealed she would need to be admitted because once again her sodium levels were so low that she would need an IV to get back to normal. Shortly after I arrived they took us up to her room in the pediatric unit where we waited for the results.

I can't express enough the anxiety. Why did they want a CT scan? We didn't know. The doctor expressed the seriousness of what he thought it was, but never shared that information with us. The nurses also seemed anxious and kept wishing us good luck. For what?! The not knowing and waiting is pure torture. So many thoughts go throw your mind. You naturally think the worse. It felt like forever before the Doctor came in and told us that it was her appendix and that we should be happy it was that versus what he thought it was. At that moment I was grateful NOT to know what he thought it was.

Because her sodium levels were so low it was very risky to do the procedure immediately. Apparently, they can go into cardiac arrest with levels as low as she was during that period so we had to wait for 3 hours before it could be done. I was worried that her appendix would burst during the wait, but I'll take it over cardiac arrest.

I was so sad and scared to leave her after they gave her the anesthesia, but she was super brave. The surgery itself went super well. It was laparoscopic so not too invasive. We spent the next 2 days in the hospital and had so many friends and family come visit and help with Aubrey. Thanks to the Pricketts, Lewis' and Bills for all your help with Aubrey and to everyone for the prayers. And a GIANT thanks to Mom for coming to visit and help. There is just something secure about your mom being there during a stressful time. Love ya Mom!

Let's hope this is our last visit to the UVRMC this year. I have given them enough of my hard earned money for one year!

About Me

My photo
Paul and I have been married 10 years. We have two beautiful little girls, Kylee and Aubrey. We are blessed with a great family and amazing friends. Life is good!