Wednesday, June 2, 2010

2nd Grade Complete

Helen: I can't believe you don't want to go to your own son's graduation.
Bob: It's not a graduation. He is moving from the 4th grade to the 5th grade.
Helen: It's a ceremony!
Bob: It's psychotic! They keep creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity...
 
I kept thinking of this line from The Incredibiles the entire last day of school. Does a 2nd grader really need a closing ceremony? Seriously!? Does a dance with all the kids in your class really give your year that special sparkle? Is that resume worthy? I think not. Hence, we skipped the whole shebang. Making the last day of school glorious and beautiful for Kylee and for us.

Instead, we spent the morning at Mimi's Cafe with a pit stop to Funfinity to play with the toys. No crowds of families pushing to see their child's dance. No circling the block over and over again to find parking. No psycho parents huffing and puffing because they can't see. Yes, it was the best last day of school ever. All because we didn't set foot on the school grounds!
 
I can't lie that morning I felt a little guilty enticing Ky to skip the "dance festival" for pancakes, but the guilty phases ended when we drove by the mass. It was a good decision and we had a fun time.
 
Goodbye Second Grade. Goodbye Mrs. Avery (my favorite part)! Goodbye Wasatch Dance Festival.
 
HELLO SUMMER!
 
Look how happy we are NOT to be attending the Wasatch madness.

Even Aubrey kicked up her feet and basked in the joy.

I declare skipping the dance festival a family tradition. Let's hope it sticks...pancakes can only go so far :)!

4 comments:

Christy said...

i LOVE the pancakes tradition WAY more :) and that is exactly what Ky will remember when she is our age...not some stupid dance!

Congrats Ky!!!

PS - was that the watermelon swim suit i saw poking out of Aubs dress :) ha ha!! love her!

Misti said...

LOL! Yes...I am telling you we are in trouble here :).

Brie said...

That is definitely the best way to celebrate graduating from one grade to the next. I think I might just have to steal yet another one of your great family traditions. And I must say I love the swimsuit craze.

Tiffany Bills said...

"I did it, I did it Daniel...I graduated from a real school, with real people" hahahaha

OK...SOOOO, your favorite part (Mrs. Avery) I have a little story about her! Let's hang soon and we can discuss.

Congrats Ky, I knew you could DO IT!

About Me

My photo
Paul and I have been married 10 years. We have two beautiful little girls, Kylee and Aubrey. We are blessed with a great family and amazing friends. Life is good!