Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Cookies & Holiday Hearts...


After 12 hours and pounds and pounds of butter, sugar, flour and eggs-our cookies were baked, packaged and delivered. I was exhausted, but managed to throw back a cookie or two myself! I rounded up the whole gang to help me and I dare say they were our best cookies yet!

We changed it up a little due to a hard lesson learned last year. In 08’ I made it a point to save a plate of cookies for our family (usually I don't because I never want to see a cookie after our baking extravaganzas). I can't tell you the disappointment that came as I unwrapped our 2008 cookie plate to enjoy a ginger molasses cookie- that to my utter dismay had a hint of mint! Eeek! I went to the plate and sure enough the ginger cookies were right next to the mint cookies and they had absorbed the minty flavor.

I could have cried-literally!

Instead a made a note to wrap the cookies individually this year and stuff them in bags instead of a cute festive holiday plate. Way more work, but in the end totally worth it. Today my butterscotch cookie tasted like one! YES!

I will admit it, okay- I go WAAAYYY overboard. It takes at least 12 hours to do all this (that includes delivery). But I put a lot of love into these gifts in the hope that in some small way people can feel I care for them-that they are special to our family. Share your talents, right? That's what the big guys tell us-so I do! I share a lot of my talents-sugary sweet and individually packaged ones :). However...

I regret to declare that 2009 is our last year of holiday cookie gifts. I can already see Paul rolling his eyes, because he knows every year I say, "This is our last" only to once again start planning-but this year I really, really mean it! For those 20 friends and family members who were lucky to receive our treats E-N-J-O-Y! Because it truly is our last and I’ll tell you why…

After receiving all the holiday treats in our own home from amazing friends, family and co-workers I found myself somewhat overwhelmed by them (how can my thighs possibly hold all this butter and sugar?). I stopped dead in my tracks at the realization that there had to be a few that received our bag and thought, "are you kidding me?" and dare I say may have thrown a few out! EEKS! The thought made my head swirl as my feet, back and neck were still tired from the 12 hour marathon of baking. I though of all our dear friends whose backs and feet were indeed tired from their holiday baking as well and here I was not able to enjoy the fruits of their labors!!! So….

Yes it is surely true, this is our last year. I want to enjoy the sugary love delivered from others during the holidays from now on. So I retire now to do so! I will spare myself the workload and your thighs as well from the 5 lb bag of butter delivered to your door! I'll have to find another way to show you how much you mean to our family, something guaranteed not to make your butt bigger. I am thinking maybe a framed picture of myself. Oh! Or maybe a can of who-hash. We'll see!

Onto the documentation of Cookie Extravaganza 2009! Can we please have a moment of silence to commemorate our final year...SHUT UP Paul this really IS our last!!


We bake nine different items and out of all-these...these DIPPED PRETZELS are my absolute favorite! They take no skill or fancy ingredient, yet they have a special place on my butt in my heart!
Ok and these pumpkin glazed cookies are a quick second!
  Finger lickin good!

7 comments:

Christy said...

Wow!! Those look amazing! seeing all that makes me really wish i had a bigger kitchen...then again, maybe it is a good thing that i don't :)

I wouldn't give up your love just yet - maybe you will be in a new area...where you are the only one that makes deliciousness like this next year - like...next door to me here in Logan - because i haven't received 1...no not 1...plate of goodies this year - where last year - we had quite a few. maybe i should take that as a sign that this year people are telling me that i don't need it...that what i really need it so get my butt to the gym :) ha ha!

I love the pictures!! It looks like it was TONS of fun!

Jennifer Rose said...

Your treat bags were unbelievable! I have to admit- I worried you accidently left just us the whole bag meant for all the neighbors. You are great! I totally understand your decision either way!

Heather said...

Well I count myself luck that I can go to the gym for the next 6 months to work off your totally fabulous bag o' treats and love! Please keep up the tradition....

Brie said...

Your treats look delicious. I don't think anyone would throw those out. Can I get some recipes?

Janine said...

Okay...you kill me. Not joking. I read the post out loud to Tim and we were both cracking up. Why is it that we feel butter makes everything better? It doesn't make my thighs better. Or my hips. Or the tire around my tummy. But it is a semi-easy way to say, Hey, love ya." I want you to know that I admit to throwing away a few items from random plates but none of your items made it to the garbage. They are working their way to my thighs as we speak. Your food is just too delicious to a) throw out and b)care how many calories are in them. So I am sad about the announcement but wish more people would make it.

P.S. If I can request an 8x10 pic of you for next year...sign me up.

lydia moyer said...

your amazing misti! yo truely wow me all the time with the things you do! it makes me smile to think that paul is married to such an amazing person...i will always have a soft spot in my heart for him (after all he was my first real boyfriend:) i am so with you on the treat giving. you put in words exactly how i feel about getting them and giving them...if you find something more creative that doesn't involve food please share for next year! merry christmas to your sweet family.

Stacy Stoddard said...

THank you, thank you and thank you. your treats were by a landslide THE BEST ONES we recieved. can't wait for more next year or whenever you need someone to test them, we are happy to.

thanks for christmas dinner also AMAZING!

About Me

My photo
Paul and I have been married 10 years. We have two beautiful little girls, Kylee and Aubrey. We are blessed with a great family and amazing friends. Life is good!