Friday, September 11, 2009

Working Mom Blues


I love my job! I love my kids! I know that you can't have it all, but lately things have been going so well in both realms that I started to believe I could. THEN...last night came and "this phase of life" gave me a little slap and I am feeling a little blue at work today.

Aubrey started crying around 9:45 so I went in to check on her only to find she had thrown up in her sleep! She needed a good hose off so I got her out and she immediately called for her Dad. I told her that he was at work and she cried...and cried...and cried. During the bath, while I lotioned her up, while I got her dressed, TEARS! She only wanted her Daddy. I sat and rocked her and the tears subsided, but she continued asking for Daddy (okay...she also called for Elmo a few times as well). The big slap for me was the fact that my baby was sick and tired and obviously felt horrible, but she didn't want me...she wanted her Daddy. I can't stop thinking about it.

One of the many drawbacks of being a working Mom. There are benefits, but this morning none of those are making the sting of this slap any less painful.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Ouch, I hate that story, however, I did laugh about calling out for Elmo.

Janine said...

I totally understand. Sometimes I hate the way that Mya looks at Tim and doesn't look at me. But in the end of the day...I know we are both good parents. You are too.

Heather said...

Also...I was talking to my friend today and she stays at home and her baby prefers her daddy instead of her mommy...so it really is the kid not the momma! You rock as a mom!

Christy said...

i agree with Heather - it is sometimes the child - not the circumstance. Susie almost never wants anyone but her dad - and rosie is getting that way too.

Just think back to the stage where Aubrey wanted NOTHING but to be held and loved by you. She would follow you EVERYWHERE and just want up :) you would get so frustrated and want her to just go and play alone...but she would have NONE of that! ha ha!

I know that none of this makes that feeling any easier - but now you can see how a dad feels when the only person a child wants is their mom. The dad gets shafted alot too :)

PS - if you want, i will cry for you tonight :) lol!

k. double-u. said...

If it makes you feel any better, Christopher said she was sure calling loud and long for you today in nursery.

Jennifer Rose said...

Elmo, Dad...That's hard! You are a great mom!

About Me

My photo
Paul and I have been married 10 years. We have two beautiful little girls, Kylee and Aubrey. We are blessed with a great family and amazing friends. Life is good!