Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

"Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope." ~Cosby

I don't want this to be a sappy entry where I tell you how outstanding and wonderful Paul is...what a great dad he has always been and how I admire his patience and love for our children. I don't want to get into how my love for him increased as I watch his gentle nature bloom as he held our first child. Or how I quietly laugh inside as I see how both our girls have their Daddy wrapped around their little finger. I don't want to gush about how amazing it has been to see him rise to the challenge of caring for our children during the day. And I am not about to express the blessing it has been to watch the boy I dated, then married, grow into this astounding Father. No, I don't want this to be that kind of post, I'll think of something way, way cooler...

I guess this is the part where I should talk about my own Father. Frankly, Father's Day has always been a sore spot for me (less as I married and have celebrated Father's Day with my children). The memories I do have of my Father aren't pleasant ones. Nor does his name bring anything but pain to mind. But one year, early in college life, I had an amazing chat with a tender Bishop. We talked about Fatherhood and we read from the scriptures, he shared his own experiences and then explained that regardless of the fact that my earthly Father had failed me, I have a Heavenly Father who will always be here for me, to comfort and love me. This experience had a light bulb affect, an "Ah ha!" moment that has proved to be amazing counsel. It changed the way I look at my relationship with Heavenly Father. It became more real, even tangible and Father's Day, for me, morphed into a greater appreciation for my Heavenly Father's love.

During this chat my Bishop also kindly professed that some day I would find a worthy priesthood holder who would be an exemplary Father and this would "knock my socks off"; I laughed...

Fast forward 1.5 years and I was back in this Bishop's office. He counseled me to leave his ward to attend the ward I resided in because he, "had a good feeling about it". This was extremely difficult for me, seeing as I very much needed and loved this sweet Bishop. In the end (meaning months later), I surrendered and in this new ward...wouldn't ya know...Paul was my home teacher!

And after all these years, he continues to "knock my socks off" in every aspect of my life!

Happy Father's Day, Paul. We sure love ya!

5 comments:

Tiffany Bills said...

Misti, I appreciate this post! Very inspiring, and I love the way you write :) Thanks for just being YOU! (cheesy, but i'm serious, you inspire me)!

Christy said...

ahhh Bishop E! I loved that man! (i hope that is who you are referring too...or that would be embarrassing! ha ha!) Sometimes when I am driving thru Poky i want to stop off...take a detour up thru the little mountains there and find his house to drop in a say hello :) I know he would not remember me in a million years, but I am certain he would know exactly who you are!!

I LOVED this post...I see all of those same things in Paul - he really is an amazing father.

Jennifer Rose said...

Thanks for sharing this!

Haws Family said...

What a great post...thanks for sharing. I think Paul deserves an A+ too!

Tillotson Family said...

I think Paul kicks butt too! :) We miss you guys! Happy Father's day late. I miss laughing during the mission with Paul. He always has a good attitute about things!! Some day you guys need to come down here - just not during the summer (it is H-O-T!)

About Me

My photo
Paul and I have been married 10 years. We have two beautiful little girls, Kylee and Aubrey. We are blessed with a great family and amazing friends. Life is good!