Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Body Worlds

I left work Friday so we could go to the Body Worlds exhibit at The Leonardo in Salt Lake. Paul has wanted to see it forever and we thought Kylee would enjoy it.

The exhibit displays real human bodies that have gone through the plastination process, which dehydrates the body in order preserve and harden them. I was a little hesitant knowing that these are real body's and I wondered how I would handle that, but in actuality it was a really marvelous experience. Not only is it fascinating to see the body's detailed functions; blood vessels, tendons, muscles, etc and how they are all interconnected, but I left feeling amazed at what a miracle the body truly is. All the patrons were also very reverent during the entire tour (nearly 2 hours). I left feeling very appreciative for my body and the sheer miracle of it's compilation.

Since then I have been thinking about what a gift our body's are. I feel like I am constantly cursing my wide hips, rounding tummy and enlarging thighs and I can't help but compare my body to others. After this experience I have come to realize that this is MY body. I waited and longed for this body, I wanted it so badly. Now here I am wishing it was "better". The world works so hard to have us view our bodies as objects luring us to defile it with addiction, immodesty or despise in my case...it is a hard snare to avoid. I have come to realize the need to accept and appreciate the body I have been blessed with...with all it's flaws and imperfections and focus instead on the gift and abilities my body enables me to enjoy. The body truly is a divine gift.

While they do not allow you to take pictures of any of the displays (too bad because they were really marvelous!) I did get to take a picture of Kylee holding a human heart. Throughout the entire thing she was really enthralled. She took notes and drew pictures in a tiny notebook they give out. I should scan the pages in for posterity, but she wrote things like "no nose" and "blood goes in then out". She had lots of questions about the brain and lungs. My mom smokes and they showed a smokers lung verses a non-smoker. I think that was really disturbing to her to see the vast difference. She was also very inquisitive about "those hanging things"...I just let Paul take that one! Ha ha! (see the "funny story" on the right hand side)

We had a great time. If you have a chance go! You won't regret it!

She says she wasn't grossed out, but her face tells a different story :)!

8 comments:

Madsens said...

thank you for sharing that experience. I really want to go and see that now :) ben has been skeptical, but I think he would be fascinated by it as well!

That story on the side is SO funny!! It reminds me of all Ky's classic moments! At least she didn't ask about "blue balls" ha ha!!!

trine k said...

that is awesome, I would totally want to go see it too except that I'm too cheap! Did it smell funky in there? Like anatomy lab?
And I am laughing so hard at your side story, I called Larry to tell him right away I thought it was so funny.

Mandy said...

You are more brave than I am. I don't think I could have handled that personally, but I did love how eloquently you wrote about how it gave you a new perspective on your own body. I feel like I just read an Ensign article. Well said!

Steven & Adrienne Jensen said...

How fun. And I want to know how red was Paul when Kylee asked, and then he found out she was talking about something else...that would have been funny to see.

The canyon sounds like fun, and so does the carnival! I am glad you won, I can't believe people would try and cheat like that at a school carnival. The Frankenstein is adorable.

Kirk and Kathy said...

I love this blog! We went to the Body Exhibit in Vegas last year, and I had the same impressions. It was awe-inspiring, and I was just as struck by the other guests and their reverence for the exhibit.

I have a daughter, daughter-in-law, granddaughters, and I am a woman, so I'm hyper-sensitve to our reaction to the media's portrayal of the "perfect" body. I call this phenomenon "social insanity".

Stacy Stoddard said...

I love the funny story....

Tiffany said...

I have heard that exhibit really is awesome. And Kylee's face does look a little weary of that heart.

Ryan & Tiffany said...

I was so glad to read your post. There was a similar exhibit here in KC, but I wasn't sure I could handle it and ended up not going. I'm glad I could get your review though and how amazing the body is. After being pregnant and giving birth, I have a new respect for the body and what it can do.

About Me

My photo
Paul and I have been married 10 years. We have two beautiful little girls, Kylee and Aubrey. We are blessed with a great family and amazing friends. Life is good!